Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  August 20, 2010 1:00am-2:00am EDT

1:00 am
education plays a big part because we want to curtail this social norm. >> larry: tomorrow night george lopez and the kardashians. now, john roberts and "ac 360." tonight as many as one in four americans believe about the president of the united states that simply isn't so. that president obama is a muslim. 18% in one poll and 24% in another. you've heard plenty of rumors innuendo and even supposed confessions from the president himself. tonight, the facts and how they got so distorted, including first-hand testimony from one of mr. obama's pastors. we're keeping them honest tonight. also a nation divided. the woman who dr. laura schlesinger dissed on the air what she says about the racial rant, the "n" word, and dr. laura's claim that she's the real victim in all of this. later on crime and punishment. we revisit a pharmacy that sold dangerous prescription drugs
1:01 am
online without us ever seeing a doctor. that was two years ago. the fbi launched a major investigation to do what took us just a few weeks. so, why did it take them two years? well, we begin tonight keeping them honest with a very simple fact, president barack obama is not a muslim. there is no evidence that he is and plenty of evidence that he is not. we say it right off the bat because 60% of the growing number of americans who believe he is muslim say they learned it from the media. well, you didn't learn it from us. the numbers come from pew research. new polling with this bottom line. just 34% of people surveyed believe president obama is, in fact, christian. 18% say he's muslim. 18%. that's nearly one in five americans. up from 11% in just march of last year. news of the numbers not interrupting the first family's vacation on martha vineyard but a white house spokesman did see the need to come forward and tell us this.
1:02 am
"president obama is a committed christian. he prays every day. he seeks a small circle of christian pastors to give him spiritual advice and counseling." still, the number of americans who believe he is a muslim is staggering. especially considering that one of the president's campaign problems you'll recall is dealing with reverend jeremiah wright, his controversial pastor, that's pastor. not imam. but the muslim notion just won't die. we googled the phrase, obama is a muslim and got, listen to this, nearly 15 million hits. go to websites like this one and you get the headline, i am a muslim, obama tells egyptian foreign minister, islamic coup on the white house. guess who posted that. pamela gellar quoting an israeli magazine quoting on egyptian tv quoting president obama's supposedly secret confession. you get the idea. you can believe that or you can
1:03 am
believe the reverend kirby john coldwell a spiritual adviser to presidents obama and george w. bush. he's quoted in today's "new york times" as saying this, "never in the history of modern day presidential politics has a president confessed his faith in the lord and folks basically call him a liar." but they are on conspiracy theory websites, talk radio, newsletters and, yes, on television news. the better outlets merely covering the controversy, the not so better ones stoking it. either way, the country as madge the palmolive oil lady once said, is soaking in it. >> of course he had a background, as you all know, in a muslim madrasah in indonesia. he had a muslim father. >> some americans think maybe like father, like sound.
1:04 am
>> a fist bump, a pound. a terrorist fist jab, the gesture everyone seems to interpret differently. >> some think he's a muslim. i'm just saying there might be reasons why some people think this. >> in one poll, one out of five americans think the president is a muslim in secret. >> he's at least a marxist and he surely understand the muslim culture. >> a growing number of americans believe that the president obama is a muslim. >> just under 20% of the american people believe that the president is a muslim. he is not. >> why can't we call imam obama america's first muslim president? what's wrong with it? somebody tell me. >> a sampling for better or worse of just what's out there. more of the reasons why now and some other hard facts to debunk the rumors from tom foreman, who's keeping them honest. >> i didn't become a christian until many years later when i moved to the south side of chicago after college. >> reporter: the poll showing a growing number of americans
1:05 am
believing barack obama is a muslim caught even the researchers by surprise. were you surprised by the results of this? >> yes, i was. but i was less surprised by the increase in people who think barack obama is a muslim than i was surprised to see that even among his supporters, groups like democrats or african-americans that the percentage who think he's a christian has dropped and it's dropped by substantial numbers. >> reporter: so, why did that happen? the president has suggested his name, muslim father and childhood in indonesia, the world's largest muslim country are part of the problem and political realities have fanned the fire. >> [ bleep ] america. that's in the bible, killing innocent people. >> reporter: in the heat of the campaign as he courted christian voters, candidate obama suffered a very public break from his long-time christian pastor, jeremiah wright, who was denounced by many as a radical. then his infamous comment about communities devastated by high unemployment.
1:06 am
>> and it's not surprising them they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion. >> reporter: suggesting to some that he's never clung to religion and couldn't identify with anyone who has. second, as president he reached out to the muslim world with visits to egypt and turkey. but pundits have suggested he's not been as aggressive about maintaining relations with older, more christian allies. and, third, the vast majority of people who say the president is a muslim told pew they learned that through the media and the internet. and youtube is filled with video clips offering alleged proof. a popular one comes from a campaign interview with abc news, in which he seemingly confesses. >> you're absolutely right that john mccain has not talked about my muslim faith. >> reporter: some cite stop it right there, but the whole clip reveals that's not what he meant at all.
1:07 am
>> christian faith. >> my christian faith. >> reporter: still, the president and his family are almost never seen anywhere near a church and even though the white house is, once again, saying that he prays daily, talks with ministers and takes his beliefs very seriously, as the president's political popularity drops, america's faith in his faith is falling, too. john? >> tom foreman tonight, tom, thanks so much. in addition to pew research, "time" magazine commissioned a poll on muslims in america and it, too, got striking results. we'll get to that in just a moment. more on the pew poll and the president's religious affiliation. joining us now is a professor of the chair of islamic study and american university. and joel hunter, he is a spiritualed a visitor to president obama. start us out here, how did it ever get to this point? >> well, the president's decision to keep his faith more private and more personal also has a downside.
1:08 am
while he's very active with several of us, the fact that he is not going very public in a visible way and, therefore, not defining his spiritual life, per se, allows others to step into that vacuum and define it for him. and there are many gullible and many maliciously gullible people around. >> ambassador, the white house has been dealing with this rumor for years now and even so when this poll came out, white house spokesperson feel they needed to come out. and twice during the day, knock it back. why did the white house even need to spend one second on this? what's driving it? what's really behind this? >> i think they're being too defensive, john, because it's the environment, the social environment in which we are living to suggest that president obama is a muslim, which he is not. he is a christian.
1:09 am
he said that again and again. israeli to associate him with islam and islam today has an atmosphere around it of distrust, hatred and paranoia and the tragedy is that is the real target, the bigger target and that's what we're seeing on the global stage and we're hearing islam is evil and the tragedies that we are not learning from our own founding fathers president obama referred to jefferson at the white house the dinner the other night last week. jefferson, john adams, franklin, again and again expressed the highest respect of islamic. they really need to read up on their own founding fathers. >> ambassador ahmed, in terms of suspicion and mistrust, that's where we want to bring in the "time" magazine poll. first of all, one of the
1:10 am
findings in the magazine poll find that almost one in four people believe that president obama is a muslim. 24%. here are some of the other findings. 28% of people asked do not think that a muslim should be allowed to sit on the supreme court. 32% do not think a muslim should be allowed to run for president. and 25% don't think that muslims are patriotic americans. pastor hunter, what do these poll numbers tell us on how america in general perceives th islamic faith? >> they are ignorant of the islamic faith and ignorance belies itself to fear. there are a lot of people, i get e-mails every week of christians that are fearful of muslims and the islamic faith and they have a total misunderstanding. and because of that, again, because it's not well defined in their mind, they fill in the blanks or, even worse, allow
1:11 am
those who are hostile to differences to fill in the blanks for them. >> ambassador ahmed, you and i talked via e-mail on this a couple nights ago after we had pam gellar in here who swears up and down that the 9/11 hijackers were practice "a true form of islam." when other people including the white house spokesman ari fleischer said it was a perversion of islam. the type of islam that the 9/11 hijackers were practicing, how would you characterize it? >> john, by simply answering that my parents, my mother is of descent of nobility and my father is descendant and for them islam means the koran which defines god as raman and raheem. that's compassionate and merciful. the prophet is defined mercy on to man kind.
1:12 am
my father believed and practiced this and my grandfather did. and so do i. to me, the notion of islam that is being evil is hurtful and vicious and violent is rejected. whether muslims are doing this or whether other people are interpreting islam in this matter. i think other people who are defining islam need to sit back and let muslims define themselves. whether they agree with this violence or not, that is the debate. i, for one, would totally reject this. >> pastor hunter, finish us off here, if you would. all of this has risen to the surface again over tensions of the proposed mosque at ground zero. not the only one facing opposition, a mosque in nashville, tennessee, one in temecula, california. you know, the administration, the bush administration, we know you're a spiritual counselor to president bush said again and again and again this is not a war against islam, this is a war against terrorists. is that message not getting through? >> no, it's not. matter of fact, it's a war against our own founding principals when we discriminate in the free expression of religion.
1:13 am
we have got to guard our constitution. we have to guard who we are as a people and that's the real focus here. today it's islam, tomorrow it may be buddhism and the next day it may be christianity. we have to be very, very careful about how we handle our fears and how we address differences. >> terrific discussion. gentlemen, thank you for being with us, we really appreciate it. >> thank you. >> you're welcome. wlet us know what you think tonight. join the live chat at ac360.com. coming up next, more evidence that there may be more oil in the gulf of mexico than the government said. remember when officials said their report had been reviewed extensively by other researchers? well, maybe not. you'll hear from congressman ed markey who is pretty fired up about all this. later both sides of the radio conversation that cost dr. laura schlessinger her job.
1:14 am
doctor laura and the woman who called with a question about her marriage and got an earful of the "n" word in return. wer. or even get the weed whacker... without blueprint from chase. create a plan to pay off purchases and you can save money on interest. does your credit card have blueprint? design your plan at 866-blueprint. so i take one a day men's 50+ advantage. as a manager, my team counts on me to stay focused. it's the only complete multivitamin with ginkgo to support memory and concentration. plus it supports heart health. [ bat cracks ] that's a hit. one a day men's. going great, babs. made it really easy for customers to manage their car insurance policy online. well, you know that's why we have 24/7 support, so customers can call us anytime. [ in a robotic voice ] does not compute. error. [ all ] error. error. error. malfunction, babs. beep. boop. boop. ha ha. very funny.
1:15 am
powering down. [ new guy ] we're not really robots. [ thomas ] i thought we were. [ male announcer ] call today or go to esurance.com. [ thomas ] i thought we were. while i was building my friendships... my family... while i was building my life... my high cholesterol was contributing to plaque buildup in my arteries. that's why my doctor prescribed crestor. she said plaque buildup in arteries... is a real reason to lower cholesterol... and that, along with diet, crestor does more than lower bad cholesterol... it raises good. crestor is also proven to slow the buildup of plaque in arteries. crestor isn't for everyone, like people with liver disease or women who are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant. simple blood tests will check for liver problems. you should tell your doctor about other medicines you are taking, or if you have muscle pain or weakness. that could be a sign of serious side effects. while you've been building your life, plaque may have been building in your arteries. ask your doctor if crestor can help
1:16 am
and go to crestor.com to get a free trial offer. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. there's more evidence tonight that government estimates of how little of bp's leaked oil remains in the gulf of mexico simply do not add up. you'll recall the estimate was just 26%. but, today, scientists at the
1:17 am
oceanographic institute said they detected a massive plume of undersea oil back in june. that it's likely still out there and likely has company. also, remember when that government estimate came out back on the 5th? officials bragged about how it had been checked and double checked by other scientists. in the words of white house adviser carol browner, peer review, peer review, peer review. ed markey held hearings on it today, not so fast, not so fast, not so fast. we spoke with him earlier. you were really concerned about this report that it was released too early before it was peer reviewed. >> my concern was that while this report was released last week, we have yet to really see the back-up work. the homework attached to it and now it will be peer reviewed. my view is that the algorithms and assumptions should be released right now so that
1:18 am
independent scientists can do an evaluation as to whether or not they believe that the assumptions that were made by noaa and the other agencies were, in fact, valid. >> a couple other studies out there. the one from the university of south florida that we talked about earlier this week that there were droplets of dispersed oil and widely spread throughout the canyon and then another new one that has just come out from the graphic institutions actually being published tomorrow in the science journal found a huge plume of oil beneath the surface, a depth of 3,600 feet, 20 miles long, a mile wide and 600 feet deep and some 600 feet thick in some places with the belief that's toxic to marine life. another troubling development here. >> what woods hold oceanographic
1:19 am
found is that were under water plumes. they were created after this spill began. and, again, as you point out, they were 20 miles long, couple of miles wide. very, very large. in addition, what woods hole also found contrary to what the federal government was saying is that the water, that is the oil was dispersing relatively quickly, they found that the oil was, in fact, dispersing relatively slowly. and, so, there's a big difference now and the woods hole study has been peer reviewed. that's why i think it is important for there to be a public dissemination of the assumptions of the federal government so that the independent scientists can do, in real time, that peer review work. >> the fact that the study was peer reviewed means the data is actually older than some of the data. the readings were taken back in june, but the chief scientist on the project dr. richard kamilly said given the amount of oil we have out there and the slow rate
1:20 am
at which it's degrading, this oil could be with us for some time. what are your concerns about that? >> i think that we need to ensure that there is a cop on the beat. we have to make sure that people don't, basically, allow themselves to be lulled to sleep by the ads by bp on every television station. there is still a massive environmental catastrophe taking place. yes, perhaps on the surface the oil has stopped. but there is internal bleeding in the gulf of mexico. this toxic combination of dispersants and oil is still there for a large part of the gulf. we have to make sure the work is done. >> mr. chairman, we know you are committed to following this to the end, as are we here at cnn even if it takes years.
1:21 am
congressman ed markey, thank you for joining us tonight. we appreciate it. >> thank you for having me. just ahead dr. laura, the woman she directed her racial rant at and what sarah palin is saying about it all. yep, it had to happen, she's tweeting again. later, crime and punishment and why it took the fbi so long to get action on pharmacies allegedly selling dangerous drugs online. it's a story that we uncovered two years ago.
1:22 am
1:23 am
a very full hour here on "360."
1:24 am
a lot more to cover tonight. joe johns here with a "360 bulletin." >> hey, john. military officials now say that there are 52,000 u.s. troops in iraq. that is after the full combat convoy crossed into kuwait overnight. all combat troops are scheduled to leave iraq by the end of august. president obama has vowed that all u.s. forces will be out by 2011. officials have deemed a security threat to an american airlines plane in san francisco noncredible. passengers on flight 424 bound from san francisco to new york were removed from the plane before it took off after security officials received a telephone threat. no arrests were made. flash flood warnings are in effect thursday for parts of middle tennessee after heavy rains battered the state overnight. the rain comes as some residents are still recovering from devastating floods that hit tennessee in may leaving dozens of people dead. take a look at this police chase.
1:25 am
started in central dallas and ended on an airport runway of love field when a man in a pickup truck was bumped and hemmed in by squad cars chasing him. the airport was shut down for about ten minutes during the incident. a dallas television station reported that the police had suspected that truck was stolen. you know, it's funny when you watch those things after a while, a lot of time it seems like they're not driving very fast at all. >> well, those runways are so large, it's probably all perspective. he looked like a man in need of a slater slide in order to escape. what was he thinking about? >> i know, it's amazing. surely, you know if the police don't, the tsa will. >> somebody is going to get you. all right, joe johns tonight, thank you so much. next on "360," we'll hear not only from dr. laura on her use of the "n" word but also the woman who was on the receiving
1:26 am
end of her hasn't. and tonight's crime and punishment. a suspected internet drug ring finally taken down by the feds. you'll see why we underscore the word finally. can i get in on that? are you a safe driver? yes. discount! do you own a home? yes. discount! are you going to buy online? yes! discount! isn't getting discounts great? yes! there's no discount for agreeing with me. yeah, i got carried away. happens to me all the time. helping you save money -- now, that's progressive. call or click today. there's no way to hide it. sir, have you been drinking tonight? if you ride drunk, you will get caught... and you will get arrested. the lexus golden opportunity sales event. lease the 2010 is 250 for $349 a month for 36 months
1:27 am
with $3,489 due at signing. see your lexus dealer.
1:28 am
in just a moment here you'll hear from the woman that called into dr. laura schlessinger's radio show for advice and got an earful of the "n" word. >> how about the "n" word. it's been throw around -- >> black guys use it all the time. turn on hbo and listen to a black comic and all you year is [ bleep ], [ bleep ], [ bleep ]. i said that's what you hear. >> everybody heard it. >> yes, they did. >> i hope everybody heard it. >> they did and i'll say it
1:29 am
again. [ bleep ], [ bleep ], [ bleep ] is what you hear -- why don't you let me finish a sentence. >> okay. >> don't take things out of context. don't naacp me. >> dr. laura, as you know by now, apologized for using the "n" word 11 times on the air. sorry didn't stop the backlash. on tuesday dr. laura said she won't renew her show when the contract is up at the end of the year. she wants to regain her first amendment rights and now a new development, sarah palin has come to dr. laura's defense on twitter. here's what palin tweeted last night. "dr. laura, don't retreat, reload. steps aside because her first amendment rights ceased to exist thanks to activists trying to silence, isn't american not fair." in a second tweet palin wrote, dr. laura equals even more powerful and effective without shackles, so watch out constitutional obstructionists
1:30 am
and be thankful for her voice, america." today on her facebook page under the headline defending the fight to cast off conservative shackles she wrote this about dr. laura. "i can understand how she can feel shackled by those who would parse a single word out of decades of on-air commentary. i understand what she meant when she declared that she was taking back my first amendment rights by turning to a new venue that would not allow others the ability to silence her by going after her stations, sponsors and supporters." apparently sarah palin does not hold grudges because here's what dr. laura logged about sarah palin in september of 2008 after john mccain picked her as his running mate. "i'm stunned. couldn't the republican party find one competent female with adult children to run for vice president with mccain? i realize his advisors probably didn't want a mature woman as the democrats keep harping on but,eally, what kind of role model is a woman whose fifth
1:31 am
child was recently born with a serious issue, down syndrome, and then goes back to the job of governor within days of the birth?" ouch. maybe palin missed that blog post. yesterday i spoke to dr. laura schlessinger on why she thinks her first amendment rights were trampled. you said you're leaving your radio show to regain your first amendment rights. how did you lose them? >> the atmosphere in america today where there is very little debate and just the attempt to silence voices that somebody disagrees with. >> but does this go beyond being disagreed with? you said something that was very offensive. >> well, yes. i was trying to make a point about the hypersensitivity of our racial issues and i made it the wrong way. i instantly realized i had blown it, took myself off the air. i had to finish the hour, which was 15 minutes and took myself
1:32 am
off the air for the last hour and wrote an apology, sent it to l.a. radio and gave it on my radio show so i was about 48 hours in front of the news media bringing it to anybody's attention. >> if you blew it. i know that if i said the "n" word once, that would be probably the last thing i would say on cnn. you went on to say 11 times. you blew it, you agree to that. should you not suffer the consequences for blowing it? >> but that was the point. the point was how race relations are in our country today with the sensitivity, but i was certainly not calling anybody -- >> we talked -- >> sir, sir. >> we talk about race relations on this program, on our network all the time and i don't think the network has ever been said on full on cnn at least by any of our anchors. >> i said i was wrong for doing it. >> correct. but you seem to be, and correct me if i'm wrong, dr.
1:33 am
schlessinger, saying that you have taken yourself off your radio show because other people are not allowing you your first amendment rights even though you were wrong to have said what you said. >> my decision was not based on this incident. my decision has been percolating for about a year when i realized more and more that, like nancy pelosi saying we should investigate people who have a problem with the mosque being built at ground zero, investigating these people. >> that's not what she said. what she said, it would be good to have the same transparency -- >> it could be good if i could finish a sentence. >> i'm sorry, you're being inaccurate in what you're saying and i'm trying to correct the record here. >> i apologize for being inaccurate. >> she said that in the same way, there should be transparency behind the mosque funding and also similar transparency behind the people who are opposed to the mosque. >> my point is that when i began in radio, there was discussion and debate. now there are organizations like
1:34 am
media matters who exist for the sole purpose of silencing voices, not debating. that is my whole point. >> and there are many people here at cnn, myself included, who have been the target of media matters. also on the other side, target of newsbusters. the conservative side of things and every once in a while, they do actually give us props if they agree with something that we've done. is that just not the environment that we're all subject to out there? do you feel that you're unfairly being singled out? >> no, i never said i was unfairly being singled out. i said a growing atmosphere in our country. media matters doesn't have me as the focal point of their lives. i'm talking about silencing voices rather than debating. and i'm going to bring my voice and my ideas to venues where affiliates and sponsors can't be hurt by people who want to sponsor voices. that is my total point.
1:35 am
>> most of this controversy over the "n" word but some other things that you said during that broadcast that other people found even more troubling than the "n" word. such as when you said "i really thought that once we had a black president the attempt to demonize whites hating blacks would stop, but it seems to have grown and i don't get it." some people thought that was really a racist point of view. >> i don't. i think that was an observation. >> another statement that you made, you said "without giving much thought, a lot of blacks voted for obama simply because he was half black. it was a black thing." lincoln mitchell of columbia university took particular exception to that suggesting that there were maybe five more points of the black vote that went to president obama that went to president gore back in 2000. how can you make a statement like that? >> the point that this woman made is her racist statement
1:36 am
that whites are afraid of the black man taking over america. i think that was a pretty racist statement. my response to that was that blacks make up about 12% of the population, so he was voted in by whites. >> one other point, dr. schlessinger, the woman called you asking a personal question. saying her husband who is white, his friend were saying things that she felt uncomfortable with looking to you for advice. you really kind of came down on her and i'm wondering why you responded to her like that. >> well, have you listened to the entire call? >> yes, yes, i have. >> oh, now, i think if her husband's friends were calling her a horrendous word, she would have led with that. but she didn't. she led with, they asked me a black point of view. so, i'm even wondering if you heard the call why you would think i wasn't trying to help her. i really was trying to help her. clearly, if that was her concern that they simply asked her for a black point of view, then it would seem reasonable from a psychotherapist point of view that she is being hypersensitive. it went askew is my fault and i
1:37 am
have taken total responsibility and apologized for that. >> that was dr. laura's take, now you're about to hear from the caller who reached out to her for advice. she identified herself as jade when she called in to dr. laura's show, her actual name is neta hanson. she joins me now. thanks so much for being with us. you heard what dr. laura said just a couple moments ago where she said you thought you said something very racist when you said whites are afraid of the black man taking over america. her words, i think that was a pretty racist statement. what do you say? >> i don't believe that was a racist statement at all. i didn't call anyone out of their names. you didn't hear me saying anything about a race. and that was honestly how i felt because of the experience i have had out there in the world. but, that's how i honestly feel that -- but i went on the show to talk about a problem with that i was having in my relationship.
1:38 am
did i think this was going to end up happening? no. there's nothing wrong with freedom of speech, but when you're disrespectful and call people out of their names, hurtful names that you know where they came from, you know what they mean and you know how hurtful they are and you're going to say them and you still try to justify what you said is not right. >> do you think that her first amendment rights are being denied? >> no. she could say what she wants to say. the problem is, dr. laura got caught saying something she shouldn't have said and she didn't expect the backlash. this woman thought she could say -- >> what do you make of this argument then, nita? that she is saying, i was trying to make a point and there are all these other organizations who simply exist to try to silence voices like mine and that's why i'm taking myself off the air. what do you say to that response from her? >> she doesn't want to take responsibility for her actions, obviously. she said those words.
1:39 am
so, why now is she trying to go back and say, well, everybody else is blowing it up. everybody else is blowing it up. this woman has been around long enough to know that this word hurts. she continues to say it, not once, 11 times. even after i questioned her and said, why do you think you can say that? i told her i was offended. she didn't care if i was offended or not. she continued to use this word. >> now, the way she set this whole thing up she said you called up looking for advice because your husband, who is white, his friends were asking you about a black point of view. i listened to the call over and over again and i didn't quite hear you explaining that. let's play the tape and then we'll get you to talk about it. let's listen to how the call started. >> can you give me an example of a racist comment? sometimes people are hypersensitive. tell me what's -- give me two examples of racist comments. >> last night, a good example.
1:40 am
we had a neighbor come over and every time he comes over it's always a black comment. it's, oh, how do you black people like doing this and doing that? for a long time i would ignore it. but last night i got to the point where it -- >> i don't think that's racist. >> you have been having friends over and it sounds to me, maybe you should probably explain it because you can, obviously, explain it a lot better than i can. they were saying things that were eventually getting to you. >> correct. the stereo types. we have to stop stereotyping people because of the color of their skin and sexual orientation. i made a call to find out how i could deal with this type of conversation that continues. not just in my house, but it continues on television and it continues wherever i go. i wanted to know how to handle that. and that's what i was asking her advice.
1:41 am
>> obviously, they were saying things that were uncomfortable for you. it's a very individual perspective as to what's uncomfortable versus what is offensive. did it ever cross over into the realm that you would consider to be offensive? >> yes. very much so. very much so. that's why i called her for advice. because i felt that it was offensive to me and who is she to tell me whether or not something is offensive or not offensive? i mean, if you're not a minority, you have no idea what it's like to, i mean, comments like that just hurt. if you're not a minority, you have no idea what it's like to be discriminated against. >> nita, were you surprised. you call into dr. laura's show, you're going to get some push back. were you surprised to the degree in which she pushed back against you? >> i was very surprised. i mean, you know, it's okay to have an opinion, but when you go on to say hurtful things. words that you know hurt people and somebody tells you, okay, i'm offended and you continue. this woman continued and you could hear the anger in her voice, i couldn't get a word in edge wise.
1:42 am
i was just stunned. i had been a fan of dr. laura's for a long time. and this wasn't the first time i had called in for advice. >> you called in before -- >> i was completely -- >> were you actually on the air with her prior to this? >> well, it had been a while. i called her over a little something, but, yes, i had under the name of jade. >> what was the first experience like? >> you know, she's always been a little rough around the edges, but i respect, i respected her opinion. i don't always agree, i didn't always agree with what she had to say, but i respected her enough to keep on listening to what she had to say. >> and now? >> because she wasn't always -- i have no respect for this woman and just how she's trying to say it's somebody else's fault. the media's fault and this
1:43 am
person's fault and this is the very same thing i'm trying to get across now. it's time to start respecting one another and getting along with one another. >> that's a lesson we can all take. >> thank you very much, sir. >> nita hanson, thanks so much. good to see you tonight. >> thank you. still ahead, crime and punishment. an 80-year-old doctor who has allegedly been paid to write thousands of illegal prescriptions. the pharmacies that have been drew griff up has the latest. later on, incredible video of a bull going berserk. he had enough, he wasn't going to take it any more. he catapulted himself out of the ring and into the stands. many people were injured. we have that story just ahead. [ female announcer ] your lunch hour.
1:44 am
at red lobster it becomes laughs over new england clam chowder and a crisp grilled-shrimp salad instead of running errands. catching up over wood-grilled shrimp and chicken instead of catching up on e-mails. and discovering seafood that makes lunch an hour you wouldn't trade for anything. seafood lunches starting at just $6.99. only at red lobster. seafood lunches starting at just $6.99. on your next business trip, pack your marriott rewards visa card. get triple points every time you use your card at marriott. apply now and earn 22,500 bonus points when you use your card and enjoy a free night stay.
1:45 am
so, before you know it, work time becomes well-deserved downtime. apply now at marriott.com/freenightstay. you've got staying power.
1:46 am
in tonight's crime and punishment report a major development in the story that we first reported to you two years ago. back then drew griffin of our special investigation unit traced illegal prescription drugs that he bought online. no questions asked to a pharmacy in utah. remarkably, that pharmacy has stayed in business and now the fbi has stepped in and utah officials are facing some pretty tough questions. here's drew. >> reporter: he hardly looks the part of an illegal drug dealer. he drives a run down mercedes-benz, can barely walk and according to the fbi,
1:47 am
80-year-old dr. robert morrow could be a major player in a nationwide illegal internet drug trade. >> hi, doctor, drew griffin with cnn. how are you? >> reporter: a drug ring that according to government documents spans from utah across the u.s. and overseas. a drug ring that has been operating for years. we want to find out, it's been alleged that you have been signing internet prescriptions. >> i don't want to talk about it. get off my property. get off my property. >> reporter: can you explain how that happens? according to a government investigator, dr. morrow's signature appears on thousands and thousands of prescriptions filled this year alone. the government alleges he's paid to write them by the owner of two pharmacies. the roots pharmacies in both utah and suburban chicago and those pharmacies are at the heart of the illegal
1:48 am
prescription drug investigation. according to the fbi, utah pharmacist kyle rusart is near the top of the operation. on august 5th, fbi agents served two search warrants on those pharmacies owned by him. one served here in suburban chicago where agencies seized boxes and boxes of records. the federal government says illegal prescription drug abuse is staggering. listen to this. it's now a bigger problem than heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine use combined. >> and these rogue internet pharmacies that say, all you have to do is fill out a form, you never have to see the doctor and we will approve your order immediately and send you addictive medications, are helping fuel that problem in a big way. >> reporter: no charges have yet been filed. the fbi isn't commenting. the attorney for roots pharmacy owner tells cnn he hasn't had a chance to talk to his client about the search warrant affidavits. keeping them honest, we wanted to know why and how the operation had been allowed to
1:49 am
operate for so long. two years ago, as part of a cnn investigation i bought prozac and the addictive muscle relaxer soma online. no questions asked. i tracked the drugs right back here to roots pharmacy in american fork, utah. >> i want to ask you about selling these drugs over the internet. without prescriptions. we also confronted kyle and he ran from our cameras and took off in this brown pickup truck. excuse me, kyle, we would like to talk to you about the internet drug business you're running out of this pharmacy. it now appears roots is on the run. this is where we actually confronted the owner of roots pharmacy. you can see just yesterday we're told the sign has been taken off this door. the state of utah filed a petition, more than a year ago to revoke the pharmacy's license, but a hearing still
1:50 am
hasn't been held. even so, the pharmacy had been operating full blast filling 200 to 300 prescriptions a day according to the fbi. this little second story pharmacy, a half hour south of the salt lake city, was a major distributor of dangerous prescriptions. we wanted to ask the utah official, the director of the agency that oversees pharmacies and prescriptions why with roots still pumping out illegal prescription meds why the state is moving so slowly. he promised us an interview and then backed out. there may be a good reason the director backed out of the interview with cnn because from utah's own records, we found out the state of utah has known all along what roots pharmacy has alleged to have been doing. they have been getting complaints here in utah since 2006. four states wanted to know why prescriptions from doctors not
1:51 am
licensed in their state were being filled by roots, which brings us back to dr. morrow. he also has a history with the state of utah. he lost his license to dispense controlled drugs from 1999 to 2002 because he was illegally prescribing drugs. he paid a $1,000 fine. he was part of an operation, experts tell cnn, that was worth close to $500,000 a month and an untold number of pills. >> drew's live in atlanta tonight. drew, that particular pharmacy is no longer in business, but how easy is it for people to get some of those drugs online from other suppliers? >> john, let me tell you how insidious this is. you place one order and you won't just get the drugs but get ads from dozens and dozens of other companies, internet sites doing the same thing.
1:52 am
discount coupons and reminder to fill orders that you never even sent for. imagine what that's like if you're addicted and sitting down at your computer. it's almost impossible to stop and it's been left up to the states and the states can't handle it because it's internet and international and this is the first real attempt we've seen by the fbi to try to do something. >> place one of those online orders and get drugs and a few cookies, too. >> that's right. >> drew griffin for us tonight, thank you so much. great report. roger clemens says it ain't so. why the former major leaguer is facing big-league charges, including perjury now. his coming legal fight and what he has to say about it. plus, a raging bull takes aim at fans. the story behind this amazing video, just ahead. listen up, people, volkswagen is at it again
1:53 am
with their autobahn for all event. it ends soon. they got great prices. cars built for the autobahn. people are gonna be driving crazy in the jetta... ...the routan, and the cc. that cc is gorgeous. that jetta is awesome. my wife loves her new routan. and they all come with that carefree maintenance. scheduled maintenance included. we're not shopping for cars here, people. c'mon! well, i am now. that's kind of exciting. [ male announcer ] the autobahn for all event. lease the jetta limited edition for $199 a month or get 0% apr. ♪
1:54 am
about this "dedicated claims rep" thing. okay, well... calling yourselves "dedicated"? we're all dedicated, okay? the entire web site team worked late every night this week. look at sanjeev. he's a mess! what? no... guys, we're called dedicated claims reps because we each stay with an esurance customer throughout the automobile claims process. it's not because we think we work harder than you. well, you don't.
1:55 am
[ sanjeev ] am i a mess? [ joey ] you slept in the vending machine. [ male announcer ] call today or go to esurance.com. >> we're following several other important stories tonight. joe johns is back with the "360 news bulletin." >> some late breaks news out of phoenix. affiliate kpho out of phoenix reporting that the two fugitives john mccluskey and casslyn welch have been captured. they were caught reportedly in springville, arizona. halfway between albuquerque and phoenix. now in the custody of federal officials, we're being told, according to the affiliate there in arizona. the estimated number of pakistanis left homeless by massive flooding has doubled to 4 million. to help with the crisis, the u.s. announced today an additional $60 million in aid brings the amount pledged to $150 million.
1:56 am
an indictment for roger clemens, the retired major league pitching star is charged with perjury, obstruction of justice and making false statements in his testimony before a house committee in 2008. he told lawmakers he never used performance enhancing drugs today. he insists he was telling the truth and says that he can't wait for his day in court. your breakfast could be making you sick. wright county egg in iowa has recalled 380 million eggs due to salmonella concerns. the cdc estimates hundreds of americans have likely become ill from the tainted eggs. and some disturbing video to show you. a raging bull is caught on tape in northern spain. the bull jumped into the crowd at a bull fighting arena leading to mass hysteria. at least 30 people were injured, maybe more. the crowd was there to watch a contest of human acrobatic skills in the bull ring and they certainly got of a demonstration than they expected there. some pretty disturbing video.
1:57 am
i hear, obviously, the animal rights groups in spain are trying to ban bull fighting there in spain. . but were they all right banned in catalonia? >> correct. >> that was an agile bull, if ever i saw one. >> tried to get in three times before he was successful. >> the way he hits that barricade. watch this, up, feet on it, wow, that's incredible. >> so powerful. that's a 1,000-pound animal. >> the shot at the end where the guy is just holding on to his tail after hurting so many people. my goodness. joe, thanks so much. great to see you tonight. a lot more ahead at the top of the hour starting with the facts to debunk falsehoods about president obama faith. he is not a muslim and you'll hear it straight from one of his pastors. [ male announcer ] what is performance?
1:58 am
0 to 60? or 60 to 0? [ tires screech ] the quarter mile, or a quarter century? is performance about the joy of driving? or the importance... of surviving. to us, performance is not about doing one thing well. it is about doing everything well. because in the end... everything matters. the best or nothing. that is what drives us. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers on the c-class. why does it say box tops for education on your soup? oh, it's a program that raises money for schools. that's great, but this is a can. yes it is. you can't have a box top on a can. yes we can. but a can isn't a box. we know. i don't think you do. [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup.
1:59 am
left
right